The capital funding projects include:
• East Heights: Roof repair for the building. Paving the car and bus rider lanes. The estimated cost is $581,346.
• South Middle: Resurface the track and install LED lighting in the school. The estimated cost is $135,000.
• North Middle: Repair the gym's wooden bleachers and install LED lighting for an estimated cost of $145,000.
• Chandler: New heating and air conditioning unit for an estimated cost of $150,000.
• Technology infrastructure: Estimated cost is $295,000.
• Bend Gate: Replace pavement in the car rider line and the entryways along the bus lane for a cost of $50,000.
• Archery building: Pave the lot for $36,000.
• Transportation: Concrete and entryway paving for $100,000.
• Henderson County High: Resurface the tennis courts, replace the gym's sound system, enclose the attendance desk for increased security, and replace the media center flooring for $159,000.
• Install LED lighting at Cairo, Niagara and Chandler for $80,000.
Henderson County Schools has several energy efficient projects. The energy efficiency measures do have an up-front cost, a cost that is ultimately covered by energy bill savings.
The money for the projects comes from reserved capital outlay that was generated through the nickel tax that was passed in November 2015. The requests will have to be approved by the Kentucky Department of Education.
Thank you to the Henderson citizens who supported the nickel tax and were willing to invest in excellence for Henderson County Schools.