Henderson County Schools is committed to ensuring that we maintain a safe learning environment. We require background checks for volunteers or for anyone who assists students in or out of the classroom, works in close proximity to students, chaperones or supervises students during school activities or events (including field trips), or has access to classified or personal information. 

Volunteer Requirements:

  1. Kentucky statute (KRS 17.160) requires that Henderson County Schools perform a criminal background check on all individuals who request to serve as a volunteer in our schools.
    Volunteers must complete the Youth Leader Request Form and return the form to their child's school or the board of education office along with check or money order in the amount of $10.00 made payable to Henderson County Schools.

    The Youth Leader Request Form must be completed every 3 years.

  2. In compliance with 922 KAR 1:470 all volunteers must also complete a CAN Check (Child Abuse or Neglect Check) online from the Cabinet for Health and Family Services stating you are clear to volunteer and have no findings of substantiated child abuse or neglect.
    There is a $10 fee payable only by debit/credit card. Fill out form HERE

    The CAN Check Form must be completed every school year and can only be completed online.

We believe that volunteers are a vital component of our success and we do not want the costs associated with the background checks to be a limitation. If you plan to be a regular volunteer and financial assistance is needed, please contact your school for financial assistance.

Parents/Guardians/Community members visiting to eat lunch/drop off items/attending programs or events are not required to complete the Youth Leader Request or the CAN Check but must present identification and sign in as a visitor.

For more information contact Jenny Richmond, Community Relations Specialist at 270-831-5000 or jenny.richmond@henderson.kyschools.us


The Henderson County Board of Education invites you to become involved in your child’s education. School-Based Decision Making (SBDM) member elections for all schools in the Henderson County School system will be in April and May.   

SBDM councils consist of the principal, three teachers, and two parents. The teaching staff elects the teacher members and the parents of students enrolled in the school elect the parent members.

Who is eligible to be on the SBDM council?

  • Any parent, step-parent, foster parent, or guardian of students

  • A school system employee may be a parent member of a council where his/her child attends, but not in the school where he/she is employed.

  • Parents are eligible to be members of the SBDM council at each of their children’s schools.

  • Employees or their relatives* of the central office may not be council members. * Relatives include mother, father, brother, sister, son, daughter, husband, wife, aunt, uncle, son-in-law, or daughter-in-law.

  • If the school is 8% or more minority, there must be a seat available for minority representation.

How is a person nominated to be on the SBDM council?

  • A parent or guardian can submit their own name in writing to the school principal or they may submit the name(s) of another parent in writing to the school principal.

  • Names must be submitted in writing to the school principal no later than five (5) days before the election.

How is a person elected to the SBDM council?

  • Parents or guardians of students in grades K-5 will vote at the elementary school where the student attends or will attend.

  • Parents or guardians of students in grades 6-8 will vote at the middle school where the student attends or will attend.

  • Parents or guardians of students in grades 9-12 will vote at the high school where the student attends or will attend.


Who conducts SBDM council elections?
Parent and teacher organizations of the school. If there is no parent and teacher organization, the election is conducted by the largest group of parents formed for the purpose of electing parent representatives to the school council.

Where do you vote for the SBDM council member?

  • SBDM elections are held at each school. 

  • Parents or guardians may vote at the school that their children attend

For more information contact Director of Human Resources Jinger Carter or Assistant Superintendent Chad Thompson at 270-831-5000.